A brief review of its history indicates that Father Carroll influenced not only the growth of All Saints parish, but also that of its missions.
Following his ordination, Father Carroll came to Clarksburg in 1933 as Chaplain at St. Mary's Hospital, a position he held until 1939. This pastorate included the mission churches of St. Francis Borgia in Grasselli (now Anmoore), Little Flower in Galloway (Barbour County) and St. Joseph in Wendel (Taylor County). In 1938, he was named pastor of St. Francis Borgia parish, which for many years was the principal church under his care. The missions of St. Elizabeth Church in Philippi(Barbour County) and St. Mary's in Rosemont (Taylor County) had been added to his pastorate by 1937. For seven years All Saints was a minor mission of St. Francis Borgia parish. Gradually, All Saints grew until it became the largest church. The establishment of Sacred Heart Church in Brownton (Barbour County) brought the number of missions attached to the parish to six by 1953.
The Bridgeport congregation was rapidly out-growing its chapel when the Diocese purchased the Methodist Protestant Church (Rachel Chapel) and its parsonage, located across Main Street from the rectory. It was renamed All Saints Catholic Church and dedicated on May 16, 1954, with Bishop Thomas J. McDonnell, Coadjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Wheeling, officiating.
An elementary school had been established in Grasselli(now Anmoore) in 1934, staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph. In 1956, it was replaced by a new parish school, All Saints. The faculty of Sisters moved to Bridgeport and the former Methodist parsonage became their convent.
All Saints congregation continued to grow and, during 1965-1966 the church building was totally renovated, nearly doubling its size.
Reverend Hilarion V. Cann 1980-1996 was named pastor of All Saints parish in 1980, with Father Carroll continuing to care for the missions that remained in Anmoore, Galloway, Brownton, and Rosemont. In 1981, a new rectory/administrative office was built on the south portion or the parish property. The mission churches were closed in 1982, at the time of Father Carroll's retirement, and their members were invited to join All Saints congregation.
In 1983, All Saints School merged with St. Mary's Grade School in Clarksburg. The school building was renovated and continued in use for religious education classes and for various meetings. The former convent became Shepherd's Corner, an ecumenical food and clothing distribution center in cooperation with other churches in Bridgeport. Also in 1983, the Diocese purchased the home to the west of the former rectory, which became the residence for the Sisters serving as Pastoral Associates.
With the number of parishioners steadily increasing, the need for a larger worship space and related facilities became apparent by the late 1980's. Planning was begun to implement these goals, resulting in the new complex, which, it is interesting to note, is on the site of the rectory/chapel, where All Saints parish was established in 1946.
Site work began in April 1991 and Bishop Bernard Schmitt formally dedicated the new church September 27, 1992.
Reverend Harry Cramer 1996-2012 arrived August 20, 1996 from being the pastor at St. Joseph's in Fairmont, WV. He was born in Williamstown, WV and had several assignments before coming to All Saint.
Reverend Father Benedict Kapa was assigned to All Saints June 20, 2012 from Fort Ashby and Ridgely, WV. Father Kapa returned to the Clarksburg area where he was the pastor at St. James from 2004 - 2010.
Old All Saints Church
1954 - 1992
For more about the building process, click here