He attended St. Joseph Cathedral Grade School, Wheeling Central Catholic High School, and graduated from St. Charles College, Catonsville, Maryland, in 1927. He completed his philosophical and theological studies at St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, Mayland, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1933, in St. Joseph Cathedral, Wheeling, by Most Reverend John J. Swint, Bishop of the Diocese of Wheeling, West Virginia.
Following ordination, Father Carroll's first assignment was as Chaplain at St. Mary's Hospital in Clarksburg, a pastorate which included the care of the mission churches in Grasselli (renamed Anmoore), Galloway, and Wendel.
In 1938, St. Francis Borgia mission in Grasselli was established as a parish, with Father Carroll as pastor. One year later, he was relieved of his duties as Chaplain at the hospital to devote all his time to his parish, two missions, and parochical school, which had been established in Grasselli in 1934.
Father Carroll moved to Bridgeport in 1939, where All Saints parish was established in 1946. During his pastorate, additional mission churches were established in Brownton, Rosemont, and Philippi, bringing the number of missions attached to All Saints parish to six in 1953. He established another elementary school, All Saints, in Bridgeport, in 1956, which replaced St. Francis Borgia School.
By 1980, Father Carroll's health was failing and Reverend Hilarion V. Cann was appointed pastor of All Saints parish. Father Carroll continued to serve the missions that remained in Anmoore, Galloway, Brownton, and Rosemont.
After 49 years of faithful service to All Saint parish, Father Carroll retired in 1982.